I was asked to post this recipe. I made this last night for dinner and BOY OH BOY was it good!! I don’t think I will ever make traditional chili AGAIN. Bison can be expensive but our Costco has Grassfed Bison ground for a great price, so we picked that up. We love butternut squash but it’s a process to cube them so if you can buy it already cubed for you DO IT, save yourself a good hour of prep work 🙂 This is a paleo dish from the book Practical Paleo, one of my must have cookbooks!
- 3 cloves garlic,smashed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprike
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon 100% cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 32 ounces diced tomatoes-canned or 4 cups fresh
- 1lb Bison stew meat (you can use ground as well)
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and diced into 2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced into 2 inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper diced
In a bowl, mix the garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder , chipotle powder,cinnamon, cocoa powder, sea salt and black pepper with the tomatoes.
Place the Bison, squash, onion and bell pepper in the slow-cooker, and cover with the tomato mixture
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.